Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cultural Differences

I thought I'd share an example of cultural differences between the UK and the US -

While we were in Glasgow, one of my friends who is from the UK told us this riddle:

'Throw away the outside, eat the inside.  Eat the outside, then throw away the inside.  What is it?'


She told us this joke at dinner and it wasn't really occuring to any of us right away, so she then gave us a hint as to the answer, which was that it started with the letter 'S'.

   This then completely baffled us.  No idea at all what she was talking about.

She finally had to just give us the answer...  Sweetcorn.

Sweetcorn.

Thats why we didn't get it - in the US, corn is just corn, but in the UK, its sweetcorn. 

Just a small cultural difference, but I thought it was a bit of a funny one

    :)




   (Also, I've just realized that this is my second blog post that is completely devoted to corn... Hmm...)


No comments:

Post a Comment