Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  For me, this is the first time I've ever not been there for Thanksgiving, so its kind of difficult.  I know other people either A) don't always get to go home for Thanksgiving or B) its just not an important holiday for them.  But for me it is.  So I thought I'd once again try to preserve my feelings about missing it - and in particular, missing it because I'm studying abroad.

One of the things that makes it "easier" to miss, is that obviously, here in the UK, they don't celebrate Thanksgiving.  So there aren't any turkeys in store windows (I mean pictures, not the actual birds), not a lot of the Thanksgiving decorations that are usually around.  Nobody is wishing anybody a Happy Thanksgiving.  So its a little bit easier to almost forget that Thanksgiving is coming up.  I guess thats better than if you were in the US and you just couldn't get home.  At the same time, I am aware that Thanksgiving is coming up, so you don't completely forget.

My intention prior to coming here had been to hopefully have some type of Thanksgiving dinner here - maybe a bunch of us Americans would "cook" dinner and we'd have all of our British friends come experience an American holiday and all that corny stuff.  But it was unable to happen that way.  We're going to Paris this weekend (Friday to Sunday), but with the way our flight is, we have to leave and go to Edinburgh tomorrow.  So we can't make dinner or anything, can't even really talk to anyone back home.  I can't decide if this makes it easier or harder.

I keep telling myself (and my mom keeps reminding me too), that its only one Thanksgiving that I'm missing.  And its not like I'm missing it because I wanted to go up the road and do whatever, I'm completely unable to be there.  It also makes me feel a little better that our Christmas dinner is pretty much exactly like Thanksgiving dinner, so I have that to look forward to when I go home.

All in all, I'm not 100% sure how hard tomorrow will be.  But I'm hoping that the fact that we'll be walking around Edinburgh will help to keep my mind off of it. 

Thats all I can really think of for now, but I'm sure there will be a big blog post coming when I get back, either on Monday or Tuesday (cause I'm going to Paris!!! Yes, in France!!)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! 

2 comments:

  1. you got me a little misty eyed here baby girl. I can remember VIVIDLY my first Thanksgiving/Christmas away from my family. I was able to call home but I don't know if it was a good thing or not b/c as soon as grammy said 'hello' I just started sobbing. I hope you had a good day, I hope you had a nice day with good weather shopping/walking around Edinburgh and I hope you have/are having, a FANTASTIC time in Paris!!! And you had BETTER have someone take your picture with the Eifel Tower behind you. You'll be home before you know it (25 days and a wake up) and we have Christmas Eve and Christmas day to celebrate together and NEXT Thanksgiving to look forward to with your new niece. I love you and miss you like crazy <3 see ya soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM NOT ANNONYMOUS!!! I clearly selected "MOM <3 " !!!

    ReplyDelete