Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The ISIC Card

Ok so I decided to do a blog post about the ISIC (International Student Identity Card)... which is, obviously, an identity card for international students that can be used for discounts basically around the world. 

I had heard about this card through various sources while preparing to come here, and now that I've been here, I've decided to do a post on my opinion of the card. 

In order to get the ISIC card, you have to buy it, for $22 (or at least, thats the only price I could find for it, who knows if I got ripped off).  My reasoning for buying the card despite the somewhat high price was that I really had no idea if it would be a good value to me (maybe it would be), and it would be a one time thing and I could find out for myself if it was worth it.  Plus, I figured it would help to have an internationally recognized student ID card, with an added bonus of having an emergency help line that could be called from anywhere.

So in August, I paid the $22 for my card, and received it around 2 weeks later.  After ordering - at which point you give your name and your University - you have to email the company and submit proof that you actually are a student.  Its not hard, I just sent a copy of my schedule.  Once you receive it, you add your own picture onto it, and then use the plastic covering thing over it. 

Overall, I don't like this card.  You have to look ahead of time to see if there are discounts for the ISIC card in any town you may go to.  And generally they're not even fantastic (it can be hard to tell how relevant some of these discounts will be when you've never been to that town).  Places that give a discount for the ISIC card won't advertise it.

In the end, if I could go back, I would not buy this card.  The only time I've ever been able to successfully use it is in the US, at Uno's (If I remember correctly, its a 10% discount).

Plus, a lot of places give student discounts, just with a student ID card (which you will be given by your University - even though you're only a study abroad/exchange student).  AND they advertise that they give it, so its much easier. 

  I couldn't really find a lot of info about the card prior to when I decided to buy it, or actual students reviews of it, so I hope this helps someone and saves them $22. 

No comments:

Post a Comment