Monday, December 19, 2011

Leaving Troubles

I leave Glasgow tomorrow.  Technically, in my head, tonight - because my taxi comes at 5 and I decided it would be better for my well being to just stay up all night.  These last few days have been very interesting.  In a way, it might be better because it makes me want to be home even more (not that I was lacking in that department).  I'm at the point where as nice as Glasgow is, and as much as I will miss the UK, I am just over it, and desperately just want to be home. 

People have been leaving at various points over the last few days, which is good because its spread out and its not one big sobfest as everyone leaves at once, but its bad because its harder to pinpoint when someone is leaving and make sure that you say goodbye to them.  Still not sure why yet, but I never got a chance to say goodbye to one of my friends.

So now its Monday morning, and the last of my friends just left.  And although there are some people here, I feel super alone.  Not necessarily lonely, just like, there is no one here to help me with my bags or to vent to in person if things are going wrong.  I know that sounds dramatic, its just a weird feeling.  Its almost worse than my first day here when I didn't really know anyone and wasn't sure what to do. 

Anyway, I've had a couple issues over the last few days.

First, I tried packing my bags but discovered that I wasn't anywhere close to having everything fit.  I tried repacking my bags probably 3 times and it just wasn't working  (I don't know if I mentioned this ever, but I purchased a second suitcase).  So I wound up having to a) take out my old carry on to use as a "laptop case" to fit a few more things in and b) packing my one bag overweight and just being prepared to pay the overweight fee.  Which wasn't as easy as it sounds, I am literally broke right now.

And then today, I went to go check in for my flight with KLM, and for whatever reason, it refuses to let me.  I go through the whole process and put my info in, and then it tells me that I can't check in online because I have some internet check in restriction, and I have to do it in the airport.  Which isn't a huge deal except for the fact that when you check in online, you get a 20% discount on your baggage fees, which obviously is a big deal for me.  So still haven't figured out that one, but it appears the only thing I can do is just check in at the airport and hope they'll give me the 20% discount.  I'm just so frustrated - all I want to do is be home and in addition to having to wait until tomorrow, theres all these issues that keep popping up.  I know it sounds silly to be mad/frustrated over these things, but I am just so done that everything seems like the end of the world.

For my last day in Glasgow, I'm going to go to Tesco to get a last minute food item (shh, its a secret), and a drink for my dinner.  Accompanied by a lot of picture taking of course.  Then I'm going to walk to campus (more picture taking) and try to pick up my politics paper, which I forgot to pick up.  Then, the most exciting part of my day, is that I'm having tacos from Taco Mazama as my last Scotland meal.  Yes, I know, its not haggis or fish & chips or anything else even remotely Scottish but a) these are some really good tacos and b) I can't eat that other stuff :-\.  I can't wait to have these tacos!! I don't know if I've ever mentioned Taco Mazama before - I don't know why I wouldn't have but, you never know.  I'll take more pictures.  Then its back to my room to chow down on tacos and get ready to leave.

My itinerary is something like:
Taxi at 5 to Glasgow Airport (maybe takes like 30 minutes)
Flight to Amsterdam at 8:15  (yes I know I'm getting there early but after Paris can you blame me?)
Arrive in Amsterdam at like 10ish I think, then 2 hour layover
Flight to Philadelphia at 1ish
Arrive in Philadelphia at 3:30 or so (EST)
Back home in NY a few hours later!

Can't wait to be back home!  Will miss Glasgow though, for sure.

Off to get tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment