Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Being American Abroad

... and also British opinions of Americans.

I just wanted to do a little blog post about this subject because it was something I heard a lot about before coming here.  A couple disclaimers before I start, however.  1)  This post will be based entirely on MY experiences, which are admittedly limited - things could be different depending on where you are, or even who you talk to 2)  Obviously, a topic like this could be continuously updated, so other stuff may happen that will change what I say in this post.


  Before coming here, my University gave an orientation for everyone leaving on any program (any destination).  During that orientation, there was a whole section on anti-Americanism and how to deal with it and avoid issues and all of that.  Clearly, problems like that will be different depending on where you go (and who you talk to... and come to think of it, how you act). 

As of right now, I haven't really experienced what I would call anti-Americanism.  Now, Glasgow in general is a very friendly city, but I still haven't experienced any attitude or issues from people just based on hearing my accent.  It might be good to point out that I do my best to be polite and not be a typical American*, but people are still all around extremely friendly.

(*Edit:  I said the wrong thing here, when I said 'typical American'.  What I meant to get across, was trying not to be a stereotypical American, not a "typical" American.  And by this I just mean that there are stereotypes that aren't very flattering about Americans (which I'm sure you either know or can google), and I do my best to NOT be that type of person.  I apologize for saying the wrong thing - and if I possibly offended anyone.)

I've only heard vague little bits of ... I guess you could call it anti-Americanism, but its never actually been directed AT someone.  For example, after a fire "drill", I heard some British girls talking in the stairwell about something about Americans (something negative, about a stereotype).  But they weren't talking ABOUT someone - as far as I know - and they definitely weren't talk AT someone.

I've even had a friend here (who lives in Scotland) tell me that her and her friends "love" Americans and America.  I'm going to take her word for it, but *shrug*. 

Overall, if you're about to come to the UK, and are concerned about anti-Americanism... don't be.  I'm sure its out there, but I've never had stones throwed at me, or people laugh at me when I talk, and I've never seen people burning the American flag or anything (those were all the only things I could think of). 

Advice:
1.  Obviously, be polite.  Just like you (hopefully) would be at home.  People like that, no matter where you're from and no matter where they're from.  Unless they're mean.  And then it won't matter if you're American or from Mars.

2.  Do try to use their local words... in the sense that when I go to the restaurant next store to get french fries to go, I ask for "chips for take away".  They may or may not care, and they may understand if you ask for 'fries to go', but it tends to make things easier if you put in the effort.  Besides, isn't that what you're here for?  You can order fries to go at home.  Order chips.

3.  I've heard advice about trying to avoid political topics.  I've been following this advice as well as I can (which is really difficult because I'm taking a politics class).  I would say just try to stick with this.  And if you feel seriously compelled to talk with some Brits about American politics, stay away from controversial topics.  Its not like they'll punch you in the face (I'd hope not.. what kind of friends are you making over there!) but like I said before, it just makes it easier.

4.  People here wear hoodies and sneakers here just like people in the US.  Don't be afraid to do the same (I heard many things that said that was a dead give away that you're an American).  I can't tell you how many hoodies I've seen on locals have said something about New York or California. 

Thats it for now, until I learn more...

To end, I'm going to begin a list of (this is not the most eloquent title, but...):

Things I've Learned About Being American by Living in the UK:

1.  This one may seem obvious, but it was still a little strange when I "discovered" this.
     In Fourteen Hundred Ninety Two, what happened?  Well in the UK, Columbus certainly did not sail the ocean blue.  Nor was there a song written about it.
        I found this out in my History of Art tutorial, which is led by an American.  She was talking about how to remember dates of paintings (I can't even remember which one) and she said something about how she remembered one of them because it was done in 1492, and then she said "Ok, only other American in the room *points to me*, what happened in Fourteen Hundred Ninety Two?"... to which I immediately replied, "Columbus sailed the ocean blue." 
        I did not get a sense of recognition from anyone else in the room.  There was just silence. 
        I know Columbus sailing to America would obviously be an American thing... but its just weird to me that not everybody in the entire world knows that song, because its like... in our DNA our something.

2.  As an American, I apparently have an instinctual preference for a Bicameral legislative system (Checks and Balances, and all that).  When discussing the "ideal UK Parliamentary system" in my politics class, the majority of the students were all for having just one legislative body so that laws could be passed more quickly.  And I'm all "*gasp* What about not giving all the power to one person/body?!  What about Checks and Balances?!"  Nope.  They don't care.  Apparently, as an American, I do, without even realizing it.



Thats all for now - hope this post wasn't a complete mess, because I didn't plan it AT ALL when I started writing.  Tata!


BTW: nothing cool happening for awhile, so there may be more blog posts like this for the next couple weeks.  May do a blog post of pictures of Glasgow looking all fall-y, cause its even prettier here now.  ALSO, if you've noticed, I have a little poll on my blog, on the right side near the top.  Try to guess where my next trip will be to :)
 

6 comments:

  1. I WANNA KNOW WHAT THOSE GIRLS WERE SAYING!!!!! (and PS...VERY enjoyable read. a-I can't believe they don't know that song either and b-had that been ME the professor pointed out and asked I would have completely blanked on exactly what DID happen in fourteen hundred and ninety two simply because of the whole confrontational thing so good job for knowing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I wasn't trying to be secretive or diplomatic by not saying exactly what they said... I literally can't remember...

    And I think you would have remembered, it was just a group of like 10 of us, so it wasn't a 400 person lecture... very casual/relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! did you really say that you try NOT to be a "typical American"? What is a typical American? In dealing with the public every day in work I find that the majority are very polite and friendly! Just saying! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Aunt Mare, what I meant to say (and should have said), was trying not to be a stereotypical American. There is a perception of Americans that isn't exactly flattering, and I try to show that I am not that. To just try to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a shame that we have a "Typical American" tag. I wasn't picking on you it's just I feel that most of us ARE nice people! It's kind of like "one bad apple" ya know? People from Scotland have a "typical Scotish" tag also, but I wouldn't give THAT a second thought if I was in Scotland so I feel THEY should give ALL Americans a chance Too!! Be proud Precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! See I just realized that there are 2 T's in ScoTTish {or so I think}. My bad!!!!!! Dang American can't even spell Scottish!! Lol

    ReplyDelete