Sunday, October 2, 2011

Loch Lomond, the largest lake in Great Britain

We took another little trip today, this time up to Balloch, a small town on the shore of Loch Lomond.  And yes, it is the largest lake in Great Britain (by surface area.  NO idea what that means or if it means there is another bigger loch?  by volume maybe?)  Anyway, it was very very pretty and I think I got some great pictures.  But sadly, my camera appears to be MIA.  Not quite sure how that happened but hoping it'll turn up :-\  So no pictures for today.  Hopefully it'll show up soon and then I can add in pictures from todays trip :)

We weren't there very long so theres not too much to tell about, but it was a nice day, and we got to walk through this park like thing to get to the loch, and see some awesome mountains with fog/clouds all around.  Its funny though, sometimes here, I could almost believe I was back in New York.  And Balloch, and especially Loch Lomond (or at least where we were) could have been in New York.  Looking out at Loch Lomond reminded me a LOT of Lake George, only quieter.  We only saw one boat go by (although there were quite a few docked all around).  They also offer kayaking and I believe canoeing on the loch.  The one website we were looking at said 15 pound rental for one hour.  Kind of expensive but it would have been worth it.  I wasn't feeling very well so I wasn't really interested in that today (but would have had I been feeling ok).  Some people went by in kayaks and it looked like a lot of fun. 

But even going up there for an hour or two wasn't bad - the train tickets only cost us 4 pounds each way (so like 6 dollars or so)  A couple cute shops, B&Bs and restaurants.  Once again it reminded me of a mini-Lake George.  I do think, though, that there are other places on Loch Lomond that would look more "Scottish", with the mountains and hills and all of that.  There were many choices on where to go to see Loch Lomond and I think we just made the "wrong" choice (if you were looking to see that, and not Lake George).  Either way, it was still lovely, it just wasn't what I expected from all the pictures.

  Well thats all for now.  Hopefully in a little bit, my camera will reappear and there will be lovely pictures to accompany this post :)

A song about Loch Lomond to end this post:

Oh, ye'll tak' the high road, and I'll tak' the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye;
But me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.
‘Twas there that we perted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep sides o’ Ben Lomon'
Whaur in (soft) purple hue, the hielan hills we view
An' the moon comin’ oot in the gloamin’.
The wee birdies sing an' the wild flouers spring
An' in sunshine the waters are sleeping
But the broken heart, it kens nae second spring again
Tho’ the waeful may cease frae their greetin'. (alternate: Tho' the world knows not how we are grieving)
(courtesy of Wikipedia, first published around 1841)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very pretty. And I've definitely heard that song before. As soon as I read the first line, I knew the tune. Good to know it's about a real place. :]

    -Skylar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY KNOW THAT SONG!!!! Well, I didn't know it like THAT, I know (at least part of) the American version!! If I close my eyes and try real hard not to laugh I can almost hear you singing it whilst also trying not to laugh. Keep practicing b/c I WILL want you to sing it to me when you get home (after the moon comin' oot and the wee birdies sing) =)

    ReplyDelete