Thursday, September 29, 2011

Another lovely fall Thursday!

Now I don't know what it is about Thursdays here but they all seem to have really fantastic fall weather and be just all around enjoyable days!  Actually the weather here has been generally very good *knock on wood* lately.  I mostly just wanted to post a few pictures from around campus primarily because it was such a nice day, and also because I haven't really had anything to blog about lately, and won't until Saturday.  We're taking a day trip to Stirling on Saturday, and Sunday we're going up to a town called Balloch near/on Loch Lomond - which is supposed to be really beautiful.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures from today.  Not too many, but pretty just the same :)

View down the hill that campus is on.  Slightly tempted to roll down it today but it looked deadly.

View of Kelvingrove Museum (which I learned in History of Art that it was built in 1901!) from the top of the hill that the main building is on.

Some of the University buildings

People have classes here!



I got a picture of this to show that not all of the buildings at the University are pretty.  And there are other ugly ones too!

Yay fall leaves!  Ugly handrail though... you'd think they could have spiced that up a little...j

Another building that people have classes in.  The building where my History of Art class is right to the left of this (like making a T) but there were a ton of people in front and it would have been really awkward to take a picture.  Plus, I have learned that apparently in Scotland its illegal to take a picture of someone without their permission.  Who'da thunk?!

Sitting outside of the Gregory Building, which is where Archaeology is.  Theres a nice stone wall thats perfect for sitting.  Not sure if those buildings on the right are houses or University buildings but they sure are nice to look at!



Did a little more shopping at Waitrose, the grocery store, today.  Its on Byers Rd, which isn't too far from where I was in the last couple pictures, so I figured it was worth walking to.  They have a fair selection of gluten free foods, and some are really really good!  Also took a walk down Great Western Rd between classes.  A bunch of little shops, some cheaper, some expensive.  A bunch of places to eat but none that really looked like I'd be able to eat there (they have their menus outside so its not like I judge them based on the outside).  A fantastic old book shop called Caledonia Books that I could have spent hours in. 

And then tonight we went to see Annie at King's Theatre near the City Centre.  We walked there, and it only took about 15 minutes (but took a taxi back).  A little bit of a different experience than at home (could just be the theatre though...).  I had purchased our tickets online, and when we picked them up at the box office, the lady didn't ask for my ID, my debit card, my student ID (cause we had purchased discounted Student tickets), nothing!  We told her my name and she just handed us the tickets - kind of strange!  And then the seating was a little weird because there were no aisles, just seats all the way across.  Oh, and the program was 4 pounds!  Adults kept talking through it, and not even trying to not make noise (messing around with plastic bags for 10 minutes).  But I'm sure anyone could have an experience like that anywhere, not just Glasgow or the UK.  The performance itself was a little disappointing for me, personally.  I felt there were some parts that were off, in terms of... dancers not dancing in sync with each other... people missing their cues by a little bit... the first few words being left off of lines... and one time a guy said his line and it was suuuuper loud.  And then the story itself... they kind of change it around and personally it was a bit confusing.  Not to sound stupid though, it was still an entertaining night.  The songs and dances were generally good and some of the characters were really funny (Although not sure how I felt about the portrayal of Daddy Warbucks... he was nice, and loved Annie basically from the first minute!)  And every time they let Sandy walk out on stage everyone 'aww'ed. 

Anyway, thats all I have for now I think.  Didn't mean to rant about Annie but I was just shocked!  haha, hope you enjoy the pictures of the nice weather (I hear its storming at home right now).  Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. at the risk of repeating myself...BEAUTIFUL pictures!!! and if I were there I think I could have talked you into rolling down that hill )it would have been fun...assuming there were no surprise 'piles' of doo doo!! I'm glad you posted some ugly pictures of the school LOL and I agree, they definitely could have spiced that railing up.

    ReplyDelete