Tuesday, September 27, 2011

International Mail

I'm just going to do a little blog post about sending mail internationally (specifically from the UK to the US, as thats the only bit that is relevant to me)

Postcards:

For postcards it seems pretty easy.  When I went to the post office, I just asked the lady behind the counter what I needed to send three postcards to the US.  Make sure that you specify that its to the US because its different postage (obviously).  I think I paid a little over 2 pounds for three stamps and three 'air mail' stickers.  They were sent out on a Monday, and most were received by Friday (one was received the following Monday)


My postcards that I was sending out!

What was given to me by the lady at the Post Office when I told her I wanted to send 3 postcards to the US.

The best way that I could figure to put the stamps.  Apparently it worked!


Packages:

Very similar to sending packages at home, except that you have to do the customs declaration sticker (which gets put on the back of the package, along with your address abroad).  You just need to know what you're sending (duh), and the value of each thing.  Its obviously going to be more expensive than sending packages back home, but thats to be expected.  I paid a little under 11 pounds to send a package to the US that was about 2 pounds (in weight).  Its not something I would do all the time, but its not sooo bad for something to do every now and then.  I mailed the package on a Saturday, and it was received a little over a week later, on that Monday.


Not sure if this post will be obvious to some people, but I was not quite sure how it worked so I figured there would be someone else out there who didn't know as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment