Friday, September 16, 2011

The Glasgow Necropolis and Cathedral

Today we took a rainy walk through the Glasgow Necropolis and visited the Cathedral.  Another very lovely fall day, only with slightly more rain.  Lots of pictures!  (Here are just a few... hopefully :)  )

The bridge and entrance into the Necropolis

View from the Necropolis from the other side of the bridge

Glasgow Cathedral from the Necropolis




Spooky!



I kinda like this one cause the statue of the guy is either extremely casual, or he's extremely ill (which would be an odd way to remember him by), and also because of the plaque...

a "few" of his friends.  It seems like there should be a story here...


Glasgow Cathedral!!
(most of these pictures are of stained glass because I thought that might be the most universally appealing??) 








And then we went to the oldest house in Glasgow, Provand's Lordship.  It was built in 1471!  And thats still even 20 years after the University of Glasgow was founded.  Its crazy!

This is like the "symbol" (thats totally not the word but I can't think of it now) of Glasgow, and its on all (all?) the lamp posts.  I believe it has something to do with St Mungo and miracles that he performed.  I really should look into this more.  But its definitely cool looking!


One of the few pictures I took inside the house.  It didn't say 'no pictures' anywhere, but it still felt incredibly awkward so I decided not to for the most part.  This is like a crest thing above one of the fireplaces.

More stained glass!

This is inside the house!  I thought it was kinda cool that there were just these random stone steps inside the house.  Oh, and the doorways were SUPER low, I had to keep bending really far down (and it got shorter and shorter) to fit through them! 


I wish I could show more pictures cause they're all so beautiful, but I'm trying really really hard (and failing, I suppose) to not just put a ton of pictures.

   Classes start on Monday!  Maybe going to Kelvingrove Museum tomorrow, maybe not, haha.

4 comments:

  1. Please keep posting the pictures! The architecture is awesome!

    The new 3 in 1 jacket is super cute. Is it always rainy there, or just the recent weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be an exaggeration to say that it is ALWAYS raining here. But I guess the best way to describe it is, if its not actually raining right now, it could start raining at any time. And a lot of the time, it is raining. But when it does rain, it can rain off and on all day, and it doesn't usually rain very hard. I know, thats probably a wayyy too detailed description of weather... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Pictures! I love the cathedral! Looks like Charles Tennant was a very laid back guy, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pics. It kind of takes me back to my roots--almost. My mom was born in England. I was there many years ago. I must share your site with Suzie who was there a couple of years ago. I know she will like it too. Madonna

    ReplyDelete