Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts so far...

Since being here, I've done some posts on places I've gone and things I've done, but I haven't really done a post just about what I'm feeling (Yes, I know that sounds ridiculously corny), and just about being here and all of that... So I thought I'd try to post a little (hopefully, just a little) about that.

In general, I feel like I'm doing okay, being here alone and living day to day and all of that.  I keep thinking, 'you know, this is not so bad, I can do this'.  I'm having fun, and enjoying things that we're doing... but then I remember that I still have to keep on doing this for another 3 1/2 months, and thats when I kind of feel, tired, I guess.  Like, wow, I'm going to have to keep doing this for such a long time. 

I'm sure that I can do it, I'm not really concerned about that.  I know that there will be homesickness and just days of feeling a bit 'blah'. 

I think my best bit of advice for anyone else who is doing this and maybe feeling a bit off...  Do stuff.  Keep busy.  Go places and get out, even if you don't really want to.  Its the best way to try to feel normal and it also helps with making friends.  But at the same time, also make sure you have time for yourself.  Like for me, today I am just basically sitting around.  I have no plans for today and I did that on purpose.  I've been so busy this last week and I don't normally do that much, so I just needed time to relax, and thats okay.  Also, Skype really really helps.  I don't know if I would be doing as well as I am if it weren't for Skype.  And I've heard other people around saying that they would use Skype if their parents knew how to use it, so if you think it might be like that for you, practice using it with your parents before you leave (I know that sounds really condescending, but wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry?)

I think it might also change once classes start (they don't start until the 19th).  I feel like it might seem more normal, then...  Hopefully.

Well, just some of my thoughts :)  Hope this possibly helps somebody (?)

4 comments:

  1. a LITTLE condescending? you think? yeah, so what we "practiced" LOL, but it isn't like I'm completely computer illiterate. And, you know I'm just teasing you here. On the NOT teasing side of things and coming from a moms point of view...yes, I agree! Skpye HAS made it a lot easier. I feel better seeing your face =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as practicing skype goes... I wasn't referring to you guys, lol... I'm just saying that if people are going to wind up not using skype because someone doesn't know how... it would be better to learn it beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd tried to "like" your comment :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley I just put skype on my iPhone so we can skype anytime you like and Nicky and Jamie have it too! Hummm does it reach Scitland? Lol AND I love love love your videos!!

    ReplyDelete